Planned Parenthood Great Plains (PPGP) seeks a full-time Education and Outreach Coordinator for this 21st century health care provider and advocacy organization dedicated to ensuring that every individual has the knowledge, opportunity, and freedom to make informed, private decisions about their reproductive and sexual health. Reporting directly to PPGP’s Vice President of Education, The Education and Outreach Coordinator develops and implements sexual health education programs for students, parents, and community groups in the Kansas City metro area. The Education and Outreach Coordinator will work closely with other members of the Planned Parenthood Education and External Affairs teams to conduct outreach activities, including but not limited to participating in health fairs and informing community members about sexual health and agency services. A collaborative style, strong work ethic, and enthusiasm for building bridges between staff, volunteers, board, donors and other key stakeholders are essential.
THE WORK OF PPGP
For 81 years, PPGP has been delivering high-quality, affordable, reproductive health care services. By providing clinical services, education, training, and advocacy, it seeks to help individuals make informed decisions about their reproductive health, family planning options, and sexuality. In order to make these ideals a reality, PPGP provides people with accurate information and access to highly trained practitioners for preventive care. PPGP sees a world in which every child is wanted and every woman is trusted to make her own decisions, every choice regarding sexuality is personal and respected, and everyone has access to affordable, quality health care.
The Education and Outreach Coordinator joins PPGP at a pivotal point in its 81-year history. PPGP’s expansion and revitalization of its health center footprint in Arkansas, Kansas, the Mid-Missouri region, and Oklahoma, reinvigoration of its education, outreach, and advocacy initiatives serve to educate a new generation of reproductive health and rights supporters and promote greater access to affordable contraception, preventive treatment, safe abortion, and other critical reproductive health services.
As an affiliate of, and accredited by, the Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), PPGP operates twelve high-quality health centers throughout Arkansas, Kansas, the Mid-Missouri region, and Oklahoma, with a centralized call center and online appointment scheduling. PPGP serves people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse needs. PPGP currently provides reproductive health services in Arkansas, Kansas, the Mid-Missouri region, and Oklahoma. The medical staff includes three board certified OB/GYN physicians who provides abortion services, as well as nurse practitioners. PPGP’s nurse practitioners collaborate with physicians to provide reproductive health care, perform examinations, and diagnose and treat infections. PPGP receives Title X funding in Missouri and accepts Medicaid and private insurance in both Missouri and Kansas. During 2015, our health centers provided 40,000 visits for comprehensive reproductive health services to 20,000 patients
PPGP provides comprehensive, age-appropriate sexuality education to more than 5,000 participants each year. Our education programs promote responsible behavior and honest communication with peers, parents and adults. Teens are given information about how to deal with social pressure and are given medically accurate information about contraception. Programs offer a variety of interactive sexuality education presentations to schools, churches and community groups on a broad range of topics.
PPGP is a leading advocate for the reproductive rights of women and men in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma working tirelessly to block legislation that restricts access to sex education, contraceptives, and abortion. To conduct more in-depth advocacy efforts, PPGP created the Planned Parenthood Great Plains Votes (PPGPV), a sister corporation of PPGP organized under IRS Section 501(c)4. This classification allows PPGPV to engage in political activities and make additional lobbying expenditures that would not be allowed under PPGP’s 501(c)3 tax status. PPGPV maintains professional lobbying programs in Topeka and Jefferson City; monitors federal, state and local legislation and analyzes its effects on PPGP and our clients; informs supporters about proposed legislation and encourages contact with their legislators; and recruits, trains and supports volunteers to work in a variety of advocacy roles.
OBJECTIVES FOR THE EDUCATION AND OUTREACH COORDINATOR
The Education and Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for conducting educational programs and related activities designed to provide community members with comprehensive sexuality education and serve as a community resource on sexuality and reproductive health. The Education and Outreach Coordinator develops and maintains key community relationships and acts as a community liaison to schools, nonprofit agencies, community groups, religious organizations, volunteers, and donors.
Responsibilities of the Education and Outreach Coordinator
- Cnduct sex education programs in schools and other community organizations tailored to meet the needs of each audience.
- Coordinate outreach and develop and maintain community partnerships to promote PPGP’s health and educational services.
- Represent PPGP in the community, including at health fairs, schools, colleges and community events.
- Participate in health/sexuality-related committees and coalitions as requested.
- Act as a resource person, providing assistance to individuals seeking information and services related to sexuality and sexual health.
- Provide education to community about PPGP’s health services and build strong community relationships in order to increase patient volume at health centers.
- Maintain program records and produce monthly reports on program activities, accomplishments and challenges including program statistics, evaluation and demographic data.
- Tailor program content and delivery, when necessary, to the objectives of the organizations and needs of program participants.
- Work with education team to design, select, and update instructional materials for use in education and training programs
- Keep current on sexuality and reproductive health information through trainings, workshops, professional associations, and outreach.
- Conduct community outreach and educational sessions utilizing social media and other technologies.
- Research and Write blogs on all aspects of sexual health to post on PPGP’s Tumblr site.
- Provide support as needed for PPGP’s Development activities including support for local fundraising events, preparing and researching grant proposals and developing and enhancing donor relationships.
- Attend PPGP staff meetings as specified by department heads.
- Manage and assist in the training, placement and supervision of PPGP volunteers.
- Collaborate effectively with the Public Affairs/Communications, Education, Development and Health Services teams on joint projects and annual campaigns.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Experience and Qualifications
- Although it is unlikely that any one individual will bring all of the qualifications and experiences listed below, the successful candidate will have many of the following attributes:
- Commitment to PPGP’s’s mission, purpose, and values.
- A smart, intellectually curious, strategic and creative professional with Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university, one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience or training in the area of reproductive health, human sexuality, adolescent development, and learning theory preferred.
- Experience with community outreach and education.
- Ability to communicate non-judgmentally, sensitively and accurately about matters related to sexuality, reproductive health issues, values formation, and decision making to young people and adults.
- Experience working with youth and diverse populations, speaking in public, and implementing, coordinating, and evaluating programs preferred.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Experience utilizing social media platforms for outreach and education.
- Must be a motivated, self-starter and able to function productively and effectively with a degree of autonomy.
- A multi-disciplinary thinker with excellent analytical skills and the ability to understand new concepts and complex subjects, to translate PPGP’s mission and work to diverse constituencies, to solve problems and to exercise good judgment in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to exceptional work quality and standards.
- Principled, ethical, and professional.
- A high level of enthusiasm, energy, initiative, and drive.
- A sense of humor, perspective, and grace.
Submit your cover letter, resume and current salary or salary requirements to:
Only those candidates including a cover letter with salary information will be considered for this position.